Queen City Kendo Club

Queen City Kendo Club

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

COVID-19 Updates

Hello everyone,

Before I begin with the meat of my email, I want to remind everyone that our Wednesday practices, including the one tonight, are currently on hold for the time being.  In my initial announcement, I mentioned that the closures was to allow the staff to clean and disinfect their facilities and reopen on April 6th. The update to that is the closures might last a little longer due to Mike DeWine ordering closures of most public facilities, including recreation centers, gyms and movie theaters, until further notice.

As for the Sunday practices, my original decision was to keep those practices going as usual as long as the Martial Arts Facility is able to remain open.  When I made that decision, I was taking the small sizes of our Sunday class into account, along with urging everyone to practice proper hygiene and sufficient health monitoring.  However, the last few days has only shown an increase in diagnoses around the globe, and in our backyard, which has forced the Governor to close many business and events where large amounts of people tend to gather and increased the calls for social distancing.  At this point, I don't know what that means for martial arts facilities, but regardless of whether they  can stay open or not, I have to make the difficult decision to also cancel our Sunday practices until further notice.  As great as it would be to have a sense of normalcy in the face of all that is going on, and I look forward to training with all of you every class, I just don't think that all of that is worth putting everyone at risk.

We may be down, but we're definitely not out!  We will resume practice again as soon as the situation improves and business are allowed to operate as normal!  In the meantime, continue your dedication to Kendo and Iaido through self-practice and cross-training!

Chris George